The orthox church Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is at the top of the Toompea, the limestone hill that once was the centre of Tallinn.
Many Estonians has mixed feelings about this masterpiece of Russian architecture as this cathedral is a reminder of the Russian hegenomy. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is the largest and grandest cupola cathedral in Tallinn, built between 1894 and 1900 when Estonia was still a part of the Russian Empire.
The architect was Mikhail Preobrazhensky, professor of the St. Petersburg Academy of Art. The cathedral is dedicated to Alexander Jaroslavitz Nevsky, military and later saint, that was the Grand Prince of Novgorod and one of the most important persons of medieval Russia. His victories were legendary, in 1240 he defeated the Swedish invaders and in 1242 the Livonian Knights at the battle on the ice of Lake Peipus.
In 1924 the Estonian authorities have plans to demolish the cathedral, but this plans were never implemented. Instead has Alexander Nevsky Cathedral been warily restored since Estonia regained independence in 1991.